Only a cranky man could frown after seeing those Christmas lights across the Des Moines metro.
- We’ve compiled a list of free finds and postings that are worth the extra penny.
Free neighborhood driving
Gingerbread Street: Along the southeastern courtyard of Richland at Ankeny.
Details: 31 houses help tell an âoriginal gingerbread storyâ. Visitors are encouraged to bring canned goods or money to donate. Donations will go to the Iowa Food Bank.
- Santa and his helpers collect donations Friday through Sunday, but food donations can be left in the Gingerbread House at any time.
Premium: Frosty Circle, (aka SE Rio Circle), which connects to Gingerbread Lane.
- â° Every day until December 31 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Beaverdale: All over the neighborhood, but Ashby Avenue and Wallace Avenue are best known for their holiday lighting extravaganza.
Details: Dozens of homes take part in an annual lighting competition. People’s Choice Voting begins today.
- Lights up until December 31 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Pay admission to these
Jolly Holiday Lights: 3300 Adventureland Drive, Altoona.
Details: This is the 25th year of this 2.5-mile-long Make-A-Wish fundraiser with over 100 screens, the largest in Iowa.
- The wishes of 80 children with serious illnesses are, on average, granted by the income of the event each year.
- â° 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. until January 2. (Closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Years.)
Cost: $ 25 per car or $ 20 online.
Winter Wonderscape Holiday Light Show: Reiman Gardens, 1407 University Blvd, Ames.
Details: This is the second year of the 17-acre outdoor show featuring movement, music and huge disco balls spinning under laser lights.
- â° Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday until January 1, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Cost: $ 5- $ 10. Free for children under 2 years old.
?? A Remark– home display capable: 705 NE Canterbury Dr., in Ankeny.
Details: Teenager Josiah Davenport created a light show synchronized with the music via tuning on 89.5 FM.
- Part of the donations will be used to modernize the auditorium of the Ankeny Christian Academy, where he is senior.
- â° 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday to Thursday and 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.